Today…the local newspaper is interviewing me about my raw foods “transformation!”
It may sound terribly cliche, but SO much has happened in just 1 1/2 months! Enough apparently, to get the attention of others.
I lost 2 more pounds this past week eating only “raw foods.” That means in only 6 weeks I’ve lost 26 lbs! But weight loss has really been the least significant change for me in all of this…
If you are new to my blog, go back to late October’s entries and you won’t have to read between the lines to find loads of anger and despair. I was numbed out 90% of the time, and flat out angry the other 10% of the time.
Depression and Diet
Numbed out is just another way to say depressed. How could I have NOT been considering what I was putting into my body?
- Flooding my system with depressants (over 100 alcoholic beverages a week).
- Trying to get back “up” with stimulants (coffee, sugar and other “white” foods) that spike you harder than a hot beach volleyball star.
- Mucking up the works with bad fats made even worse by cooking with them.
- Eating polluted grain-fed (and who knows what else) animal products filled with hormones, antibiotics and fear.
- Rarely eating fruits or vegetables (like almost never), and when I did; eating nutritionally deficient, pesticide ridden, genetically modified produce.
- Putting all of that “food” into a sedentary (nearly lifeless) body.
Looking back now, after such a rapid improvement in my sense of well-being, I have to ask myself, how much of that depression was completely physical and self-induced versus “emotional?”
Having grown up in a family comprised mostly of fat depressed souls, I also can’t help but truly wonder how many of their “emotional” problems would have been solved by just changing our families diet to a healthier one?
Would we have had a completely different childhood/home-life if we had just eaten different foods?
Comfort Foods and The Mirror
Of course the problem with a whole family, or even one person, making that kind of shift is this…when we’re depressed we want even more crap food to (here comes the irony) make ourselves feel “better.” It’s called comfort food for Fuck’s sake!
I remember night after night of trying to comfort myself into a frickin coma with pepperoni pizzas and cartons of Ben & Jerry’s. I also remember how uncomfortable I felt in my own body and how angry I’d feel looking at the “fat Elvis” version of myself in the mirror.
How ridiculous it really is to grow to nearly twice your size! How out of control that feels! How strange it is to be fat, even if it is quickly becoming the norm here in the U.S.
Just as bizzare and sad is getting to a place where its a burden just to be an active human being. To see walking as a necessary evil that you engage in only when after circling the Walmart parking lot ten times you are forced to park more than 10 feet from your destination…
Real Food feels Real Good
So I don’t know where my life is going to go from here. No one ever knows that. I don’t know for sure if I will feel this elated two weeks from today. I certainly don’t want to sound like I am preaching or proffering some kind of deluded salvation strategy (I don’t actually believe we need saving). But I do know that changing what and how I eat is changing me.
Six weeks ago I could barely get out of bed to go to work at 5pm! I was resigned to being broke and basically being unhappy with my life. Now I am having trouble sleeping because I have so much stuff that interests me hitting me all at once…
Yesterday I crashed a UC screenwriting lecture, and am beyond excited about getting back to work on some scripts I started before, as well as a new one I’m dying to outline and get started on.
I now spend a lot of time communicating with all kinds of people about food through Twitter and this blog. I’d never blogged before, and had no idea how fun it can be or how much time it can take.
I have a growing reading list of both fiction and food-related stuff. Business ideas that flashed across my previously drug addled brain are once again clamoring for my creative attention.
And, I have this interview with the paper I have to get to…