As the effects of eating raw are changing how I look and act (I’m one happy hyper dude lately), more people are asking me about what I’m doing and how it all works.
The “what the hell do you EAT?” question is harder to answer than you might think. At least the first few times someone asks…
I try and answer by focusing on BASICS that anyone can do, whether they are a diabetic who is considering going 100% raw Dr. Gabriel Cousens style, or just someone that wants to replace some of their meals with raw nutritious foods.
All Hail The Vitamix
To me, SMOOTHIES are the most basic thing anyone who wants to eat more raw fruits, seeds, and vegetables (especially GREENS) can do. Check out my Naked Smoothies page for dessert level raw “shakes” that are a great way for someone to transition over to raw…
What’s the single best tool for doing smoothies, green drinks, etc.? The Vitamix.
Sadly, I do not own one. I am a broke ass right now and am making due with an eager but under powered (gasp) blender. The blender and I have an abusive relationship, but we manage.
If you’ve got the money, do not pass go before buying yourself the Cadillac of “blenders”; which also acts as a juicer, dry flour grinder, nut butterer, and even ice cream maker!
I am very familiar with the Vitamix because I use them all the time. Where? EVERY bar/restaurant I’ve ever worked in has one. The main reason being they can crush ice better than a gristle ice trucker, and they are REALLY REALLY reliable. So, a Vitamix is an investment level appliance we’re talking about here people!
I start my day with a nice stiff (get your naughty minds out of the gutter…) green drink. Here’s my favorite one right now…
“I am what I am” morning drink
- Juice 2 sweet grapefruits by hand (I also don’t own a juicer).
- Pretty much fill the blender up with spinach.
- Drink down the crazy.
Now if I had a Vitamix, I’d probably juice one of the grapefruits, and put the other one in peeled. The Vitamix can pulverize whole fruit (and the seeds) down to “juice.” That has a bunch of advantages..
- It’s WAY easier than juicing (which is a chore and a half).
- Less waste (why throw the grapefruits fleshy wonders in the compost?)
- More fiber…especially important for people with insulin issues.
Also, my blender can handle spinach, but it hates kale, beets and other hard core veggies. The Vitamix and a good recipe can turn those ruffians into something you’ll actually WANT to drink. When you start buying mostly raw food this is a huge advantage because a lot of the stuff you buy (beets/carrots/etc.) have greens ATTACHED to them. They are like BONUS greens IF you have a way to make them appetizing…
My New Favorite Toy
Wow! You all need to stop looking at so much porn! I’m talking about my Spiralizer…
What’s a spiralizer? It’s this little magic slicer dicer that turns zucchini and other unmentionables into PASTA! I love this tool. Think about it…once you have the canvas (zucchini noodles)…you are ready to enter into a realm of Bohemian enticements (raw sauces!).
And unlike Vitamix’s and Excalibur Food Dehydrators this little spiralizer is cheap! Top the veggie noodles with my “meaty sauce” or some fresh walnut pesto and you are asking for savory overload.
- soak 12 sun dried tomatoes (real ones-not from a jar or in oil) and10 sun dried olives in hot tap water (set aside)
- roughly dice up 1 large fresh tomato, 1 large red pepper, 1 stalk of celery, and 1 clove of garlic.
- Put all the diced items in a blender/processor/or Vitamix
- Add a tbs or some really good cold-processed olive oil, a small handful of fresh basil leaves, and sea salt IF the tomatoes or olives aren’t salted already.
- Blend just until mixed.
- Now…drain the warm water from the sun dried ingredients and add them to the blender.
- Blend to the consistency you like. This last step is going to make the sauce really rich and “meaty.” The sauce is also going to be nice and WARM–a real treat for people who eat 100% raw!
- Pour or Ladel over your awesome zucchini noodles!
- Top with Rawmesan to get really old school!
You can buy both of these kitchen equipment items and other “Raw Kitchen Essentials” from the beautiful Kristen Suzanne (click the link and scroll down) or do a quick Google/eBay search for deals. I just did a quick search on the spiralizer I use (Saladacco Metro) and found a bunch of them on sale here.
I don’t make any money off these links. So order a second Vitamix for me! Or at least share your sauce and smoothie recipes with me…